Carbohydrate loading. Do you need it? Not for the 12 km but if you are trotting out for the 1/2 or full marathon, yes indeedy. Carb loading is effective for 24 hours prior to an event lasting longer than 2 hours and is calculated at a rate of 10 grams for each kg of body weight. If you weigh 6okg then you are looking down the barrel at 600 grams of energy producing carbohydrate.
- 2 cups cereal with 1-2 cups milk with 4 slices of toast with jam/honey
- 4 tablespoons Sustagen Sport in 250ml milk with1 large cinnamon bun
- 2 cups cooked rice or pasta with 150g meat/chicken or fish and vegetables or salad plus 1-cup jelly with fruit
- 4 tablespoons Sustagen Sport in 250ml milk with 50 grams jelly beans
- 150g meat, chicken or fish with 2 cups cooked pasta or rice plus veggies or salad
- 1-cup jelly or custard with fruit
Carb loading always sounds so appealing on paper but is actually hard work in reality. Boy, it makes a BIG difference on the day. Want to find out what to eat for breakfast on race day? Check in tomorrow.