Fuelling Peak Performance in Education – Program Outline
In our first week, we’ll be laying the groundwork. It’s not just what goes into your body; it’s also about habits, mindset and beliefs. We’ll be exploring:
- The foundations of peak performance – what it is, why it’s so important, and how it applies to their life.
- How to use the principles of champions to enhance performance, to achieve more in both sport and daily school life
- The 4 critical steps required to achieve competence in any new behaviour or skill
- The tried-and-true strategies for removing barriers to success
Week 2 – Getting Set
This week, we’re getting up close and personal with daily performance levels, because we all know: how athletes show up in training sessions is how they’ll show up on game day. We’ll be looking at:
- The major factors that impact productivity and output, including nutrition, exercise, sleep, stress and mental health
- How to monitor and manage ‘energy in’ versus ‘energy out’, PLUS how to cycle energy (without the ‘hit and miss’ guesswork)
- Expert strategies for recovery and renewal (a factor that’s so often forgotten in nutrition and exercise programs)
- How to design daily, weekly, monthly and annual game plans, so that you know exactly how to get your students where you want them to be. (Includes assistance from me, with all tools and templates provided.)
Week 3 – Hacking Before and After: Pre and Post-Exercise Nutrition
You can only push hard when you’ve got the right energy in your system. And you can only recover when you’re giving your body the right building blocks to renew and replenish itself. This module is all about getting strategic about those key windows for nutrition intake. We’ll get to the nitty-gritty of:
- The secrets behind timing, quantity and quality (which is likely NOT what you’ve been told before)
- Practical tips on meals, snacks and products – because there’s no point in unachievable, time-consuming or expensive food suggestions
- Getting micro on macros: The real truth about fat, protein and carbohydrate consumption – how much, how often, and how to tweak it to achieve goals
Week 4 – All Systems GO: Nutrition for Competition
A quick Google on ‘performance nutrition’ will have you trawling through thousands of drinks, gels, powders, potions and magic formulas. But what do the pros really use? What does a growing body truly need during these high-pressure situations? And how can you avoid the common mistakes that way too many athletes make? This week we dive into the topic you’ve been waiting for: eating to win. We’ll cover:
- What, when, and how much: the science behind fuelling optimum performance. (Includes loads of real life case studies from years of working with sporting champions).
- Expert strategies for recovery and renewal (a factor that’s so often forgotten in elite diet and exercise programs).
Week 5 – You are what you DRINK: Hydration for peak performance
The question of hydration can be a sticky one for athletes – Is water best? How do I keep my electrolytes balanced? Which energy drinks are actually good for me (and which are full of junk)? Our bodies require very specific hydration levels to function at its peak. This week, we’re going to wade through all the urban myths and marketing fluff to figure out the best fluid to optimise performance. Plus the teenagers that you are dealing with need some specific direction in this area. We’ll dive into:
- The truth about hydration – what to drink, when to drink it, how much to have, and how to tell if you’re doing it right
- Water versus caffeine, energy drinks, electrolyte drinks etc. – How to make the right choice for your body and the event.
Week 6 – Supplements for Success
There’s a lot of hype when it comes to supplements. What’s actually worth spending money on (and what’s not worth the packet it comes in)? What do the pros always have in their kitchen (and what do they know to steer clear of)? How can you tell if a supplement is doing good, or is just a bunch of expensive fillers? You’ll learn:
- How to supplement for success – the products and brands the pros use
- Essential minerals for maximum energy. These are the ‘secret weapon’ nutritional tips that have helped my elite clients cross the finish line and come out on top (includes daily requirements and best sources)
- How to maximise health and recovery with antioxidants and good gut bacteria (so that enhanced performance, goes with optimal wellness too)